UX Challenge: Design a cheaper and instant way to reorder things of common use

Preface

Reordering things of common use is a pain. When I am out of laundry detergent, I have to go to Safeway/Walmart/Amazon to reorder. When I am out of flour, razor blades, shaving needs, underwear, socks, etc, I have to run to these shops. I often have to make a mental note of it if I can’t go immediately when I need these items. And more often than not, I forget them. Amazon Dash is a good solution for individual items, but I don’t want to keep buying Dash for each item. I wish there was even a simpler way to reorder things at the time I feel I need to reorder them. How can I do that?

Problem

No cheaper and instant way to reorder things of common use.

Challenge

Design a system that allows the users to reorder multiple things from the places that users are most likely to remember they need to reorder.

[Image Credit: https://www.lifewire.com/best-amazon-dash-buttons-4137814]

I think the answer lies in a simple dashboard for all the processes that take place in your house. Using this application, (Which can have assistive features and example frameworks) you can map out activities that take place in your house on a daily basis and the products associated with them. Once you have your house system mapped out, and the app has identified and constructed a list of items that you require and make a timeline based on average time the product lasts using either one time input from you (A yes/no list of questions that you can quickly go through one a day/week etc) and/or cross referencing it to usage patterns online.
Now, it can then be linked to your e-commerce account to prepare a basket at the right time based on 1) when your product will be running out and 2) when can the replacement be delivered to your doorstep.

One or two cycles of this with a machine learning algorithm can actually create a digital smart manager for your house.

does that mean, I don’t have to re-order anything and it is automatically done for me? That would be awesome, but kinda very hard.

I think a simple solution would be to have an app that connects to all your shopping accounts and it buys for you when you need it.
This would be the flow

1. Let’s call this app “ShopByPrint”
  2. ShopByPrint connects to your Amazon.com account
  3. Items that you use commonly are shown on the home page.
  4. It generates a quick QR code buy image for each item.
  5. You stick these QR code images near the items.
  6. When you are out of something, simply scan the QR code which lets ShopByPrint directly order from your shopping account.
  7. You can customize the size of the order anytime in the mobile app. Next time you scan a QR code, it orders the items as per your settings.

Winning Post

Congrats @twisterinc Brett

Amazon Dash seems to be the only “instant” reordering device that is available today. The only other easy way to reorder items would be a multi-step process of going online, search for the item, add it to the cart, and submit the order. And the final alternative would be to leave the house, drive to the store, search for the item in the aisles, and purchase the item in store.

Amazon Dash does a good job of making it easily accessible, being able to stick the button next to the product you use and with the press of a button, it’s credited to your account and on your way within the week. The issue shown here is that it costs $4.99 per dash button, and it’s only for certain brand items. This doesn’t include other common items such as underwear and socks.

The problem presented is find a cheaper way to order common use items, but I’d like to also add in the ability to order any item.

[Image Credit: https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2017/01/echodothome-100704745-large.jpg]

The easiest way to do so would be to include a voice control feature on any applicable device such as Alexa, iPhone’s Siri or Google Home where you can say for instance, “Alexa, Order another pair of socks.” Alexa would follow up with a reply, “Item on its way.” One thing about this is, you’d have to enter in the items into a list so that it knows which items you’d want to order. You don’t want Alexa sending you the wrong size or pair of socks.

Another useful feature would be to start a shopping list. Say you’re going through your kitchen and you need to find which grocery items to order, you can say, “Alexa, start a shopping list.” And Alexa would respond, “List created, what items would you like to add to the list?” Each item you mention, just say, “Add” before each item and when you’re done say, “End list”. And Alexa responds with, “List created, would you like me to read back the list or submit order?” And the rest is explanatory.

@halebales24 Thanks, that was a great answer. Voice assistants could really become our future shopping assistants.